Joining Jen at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes.
1) We’re all suffering from various stages of our illness. It’s gone from viral to bacterial for most of us. This pollen/allergy season is aggravating it all. My one son is sharing the wheezing with me. I’m on prednisone, AGAIN. But I’m happier that we are catching this earlier than last time. When Mommy’s sick, though, I just can’t push the school work. So we didn’t get much accomplished here. I can only do so much.
2) I don’t like to do too much introspection when I’m sick, because I’ll magnify all the problems, but I have really failed this school year. I’ve got to do some major changes. I need to have more planning and more self-discipline. I also hope to work in more crisis mode plans. I know you can’t “plan” for crisis mode, but I need to have some fallback plan, because this year became a whole year of crisis mode and I had no safety net. My only consolation has been that we are holding our son back one year before he enters junior high. We started him in Kindergarten at a younger age and I don’t want him to be that young in his grade.
3) I just signed up for Level III Formation for Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. One of these days I’ll be a catechist in an actual atrium, but for now the formation enriches my spiritual life and nurtures our family spirituality.
4) But now that I’m in the class, I really need to finish my albums from Levels I and II. I’m very behind and have got to do my homework. So our summer plans: focus on math, handwriting, and reading, make the school plan for next year, and then work on my CGS albums.
5) I’ve also been giving thought to getting back into playing the organ and teaching sacred music. Having had such a year, I don’t know if I should consider giving a Gregorian Chant co-op, but I’ll see. I want my sons to learn chant and learn to sing in a schola and a choir. If there is no other opportunity, how else can they get the experience? I only will do it if both can be involved. So, I’m thinking and praying over this. Playing the organ means working in more practice, which gets back to a better schedule and organization.
6) While I’m dwelling on the sacred music, in rereading the documents on music in the liturgy, why is what should be the NORM is the exception?
7) My last 7QT I shared some of our book sale finds. Our sickly household has put on hold finding homes for all the books. The boxes are still in my living room. And I realized yesterday that because I got sick right after Christmas I never helped merge the new toys (i.e., Legos and Playmobil) into proper homes. And the mess downstairs proves that failure. So basement reorganization is also on my list.
Sometimes the cure is harder than the sickness. The long list for catching up after I’m well is so overwhelming!