Joining Jen at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes.
I’ve had all sorts of posts in my mind, but haven’t been able to find the time to blog them. So a quick summary might be best:
1) Open Heart surgery — scheduled for January 16. We were hoping for something in December. There is still a large chance that I might get a December 12 date, and we’re waiting on pins and needles to see if that happens. But the closer the December date comes I’m thinking I don’t really want it, because I’m not ready. I need to shift gears and be ready for a last minute call, I guess. It’s hard to prepare my sons, and to also prepare for Christmas and a birthday at the last minute.
2) My symptoms have increased making me slow down even more. I’ve been experiencing chest pain on top of the shortness of breath (SOB is a terrible abbreviation for that!), so I know if I’ve done even a little too much. I’ve become a bit of a invalid, but it does validate the need for surgery. (Like that use of “valid” in two ways?)
3) Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Kennedy Assassination. My husband was in the womb when it happened, and I didn’t appear until 4 years later. He and I have been watching all the different shows on this and really enjoying discussing it all. I have found it a good point that we can liken the pandemonium and panic to the 9/11 attacks. I remember that day with all the emotions very well, so I can put myself in that mindset. I don’t believe in any conspiracy, really, although I do see that there were flubs and a few cover-ups by the FBI and Secret Service. But then, aren’t we witnessing that all the time with our era? Especially with our current White House?
4) One other point about the impact of the Kennedy assassination is that this was the first time to have live TV news. It was also the first time that Americans starting doubting and rebelling against “the establishment”. This is just a small reflection of the turbulent 60s and 70s. But what isn’t pointed out is that much of this could be blamed on the media. If the media wasn’t putting forward all these conspiracy theories and doubts, would people really be thinking that way? I see this as a pivotal time for the liberal media. No, it wasn’t the beginning, but a real watershed moment.
5) I’ve written before about my problem feet. Right now I have really happy feet. I have finally found the perfect shoe. I’ve given up on The Walking Company for help with my shoes, because I found they were just pushing name brands and not really fitting to my foot problems. Dansko do not work for me.
I found a pedorthist in Woodbridge at Potomac Cobbler. He pointed out that I need a shoe that doesn’t allow my feet to pronate. He also said that my feet aren’t narrow when I step down, and that I need a larger toe-box. The brand of shoe that is just perfect is Finn Comfort. The footbed is perfect and so comfortable. I only have two pairs so far, Jamaica sandals and Santa Fe-S clogs. Neither are terribly fashionable, but they are so comfortable. I like the soft bed, need the 1 3/4 heel, as the lower doesn’t support my foot. The negative is that the price is so expensive, so I have to save up for the shoes. My next pair I hope to get is Soft Hempstead. What’s great about these shoes is that the insole can be replaced for about $60, so once I invest in the shoes, they should last. I could sing the praises, but I’ll just say I’m happy I have shoes I can wear all the time and my feet don’t hurt!
6) More product endorsement, but I’m really trying to get off anti-perspirant. In the past I’ve had no success, but I have found Primal Pit Paste. I’m adjusting to the baking soda, but I’ve found that I smell better and am drier than I did with anti-perspirant!
7) If you are online, you are well aware that Advent is around the corner. Am I ready? Absolutely not! I do have some updated files to share later today. Will I get everything I want done in time? I doubt it. We’re in survival mode right now. But the liturgical season will continue whether or not I have elaborate plans or not, so I’m preparing myself the best I can. I’ll keep on my blinders and just focus on our Domestic Church.
Bonus 8) I’m almost ready for the unveiling — it’s not a new website or anything, but it’s a project very near and dear to my heart….stay tuned!