Updated for Advent 2013.
Advent begins later this year, December 2, so it’s a shorter Advent. I’m excited because there will be one week between Thanksgiving and the first Sunday of Advent — it’s always helpful to have that time to prepare. I’m currently updating some of my plans and files for 2012 (Liturgical Year 2012-13). I haven’t quite finished all my updates, especially for my reading plans, but keep returning to this post for the links and updates:
All my posts on Advent can be found if you choose the category “Advent” in the sidebar. Also in the top menu there is “Living the Liturgical Year”, and the subpage is Advent and Christmas which contains many printable pages I have on this website.
This looks daunting: but don’t be overwhelmed! This is a collection of our family’s traditions over the years. Just be aware of two things: 1) our traditions have developed over time, and more have been added over the years and 2) no year ever looks the same, and not everything is celebrated the same way. Sometimes feasts are not celebrated at all!
For the Christmas season and all related posts, see Christmas is Not Just One Day, But a Season: Resources Page. The Christmas page is less full, so all recipe and cookbook related links will be on that page.
I have created a 2-sided prayer booklet for the Advent Wreath. I wanted to incorporate the new translation of the Collect prayers from the Sunday Masses in Advent, and also incorporate the figures and themes we use during Advent that represent our Salvation History (Isaiah, John the Baptist, Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Joseph).
- Salvation History Presented through the Advent Wreath.
- Decorating for Advent Suspending our Advent wreath
- The Advent Wreath from Mother Mary Francis
- Advent Wreath Poster Explanation and Readings
- Advent Wreath Poster Words and Images
- Advent Wreath Prayers Booklet
- Advent Wreath Prayers old translation
My Little Advent
Original Blog post
These are Advent cards for each day in Advent and printable Advent and Christmas Calendars for the children.
- Advent cards 2012
- Advent cards 2013
- Advent calendar 2012
- Advent calendar 2013
- Christmas calendar 2012-2013
- Christmas calendar 2013-2014
Preparing the Manger:
A custom of having a small replica of a manger and the children prepare the manger to be soft for Baby Jesus at Christmas by filling it with straw for each good act or prayer they do.
- Mysteries of the Rosary Coloring Pages, Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious The most popular link on my site. The Joyful Mysteries are so lovely to use during Advent and Christmas.
- Annunciation Coloring Page
- Miraculous Medal / Immaculate Conception Coloring Page
- Prepare the Way of the Lord my article at “O Night Divine”
- Preparing for the New Liturgical Year
- Advent Reading for Adults
- Prepare the Way of the Lord Advent plans
- Alphabet Advent 2009
- Alphabet Advent 2010
- Short List for Advent Reading
- Advent Catechesis: Biffi reading plan 2009
- Advent Catechesis: Biffi reading plan 2010
- Loveliness of Advent A variety of links to various Advent posts with ideas for activities and crafting to prepare for Christmas.
- Prayer in Advent from Rural Life Prayerbook
- Christmas Anticipation Prayer and Novena for the Immaculate Conception
- Praying the O Antiphons 2013
- Advent Wreath Prayers New Translation 2011
Liturgical Days in Advent:
First Sunday in Advent, Stir-Up Sunday
- Jamaican Fruit Cake for Stir-Up Sunday on “Catholic Cuisine”
Second Sunday in Advent, Dedicated to St. John the Baptist
Third Sunday in Advent, Gaudete Sunday, Dedicated to St. Joseph
December 4: St. John Damascene and St. Barbara
St. John and St. Barbara
- Saintly Example of St. Nicholas
- Celebration Ideas
- Reading for St. Nicholas
- Recipe for Speculaas Cookies
- St. Nicholas Paper Dolls from Paperdali
Immaculate Conception, December 8
- Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, explanation of the custom of the “Mary Candle” or “Christ Candle”
- Miraculous Medal images to color and cut.
St. Juan Diego, December 9 and Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12
- Spirit Child: review of a gorgeous picture book for children. Contains the translation of an Aztec text from over 400 years ago. The words are very beautiful, and remind us of the faith of St. Juan Diego.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Points to 2 great articles by Mary Machado.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Sculpey Ornament Instructions — ornament referred to in Mary’s articles.
- Paper Dolls from Paperdali
St. Lucy, December 13:
Lucia Saint of Light Book Review
Lucia Dagen at “O Night Divine”
St. Lucy Day Wheat Planting at “O Night Divine” by Mary Machado
St. Lucy Paper Dolls and Unit Study by Paperdali
O Antiphons: December 17-23
O Antiphons Begin
The Great O Antiphons.
Praying the O Antiphons, including O antiphons prayer companion 2013 and O antiphons prayer companion table printout
Food Ideas to Celebrate the O Antiphons at “Catholic Cuisine”
O Antiphon round-up, another article on “O Night Divine”.
I share my printables for free and I hope you enjoy them. A small donation of a few dollars can help me continue to create and share my work for free. Thank you for your generosity!