Joining Jen a little late for 7 Quick Takes.
1. Lego Movie — husband and boys saw it 10 am yesterday, opening day. We NEVER do that, in fact we rarely go to the movies. (Daddy was giving me a little break.) They all enjoyed it. Quick review from dh: very fun movie, a very moving and surprise ending. There is a lot of motion which is a little hard on the eyes and brain. There is some potty humor, which we really try to avoid, so that was disappointing.
The theme song from the movie is being repeated constantly: “Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you’re part of the team.” Definitely an ear worm.
I’m happy to see my boys enjoy both sets and following instructions, but also free build….which was part of the movie theme.
2. To cap off the Lego intensity, the boys finally decided on what to buy with their Christmas money, and the Lego sets arrived before lunch. In short, a wonderful two days of Legos! My boys are Legomaniacs, for sure.
3. I mentioned I would need a second root canal this week. (These tooth problems seemed to have been the results from some disturbance during my open heart surgery.) After my first root canal, the pain in the other tooth completely stopped, so I wanted to make sure I didn’t require the second root canal. I had it checked on Wednesday, and the great news is my tooth is normal and no problems. I am so happy! The first tooth’s color was restored, no cap required and only no second root canal. To me it’s the best possible results for a bad situation.
4. My recovery is still going very well. At home I’m functioning well, easing into cleaning and cooking and schoolwork. But outside activities do tire me more quickly. I have approval to drive, and so yesterday I ran an errand to Target (while they were at the movie). Short summary: I’m not quite ready to take the roads yet. Even though it was a straightforward errand: bank and Target, both very close to home and easy to get there, I noticed my thinking and reactions were slower. I didn’t make mistakes that endangered anyone, just not quite comfortable with where I was and how to get there. I had to make at least 4 u-turns and I got in wrong lanes several times. My husband agrees, I’m not quite ready. (For the record I was not taking any medication to interfere with my driving.)
5. I’m a little discouraged at some of the bad habits and weak areas in education with my boys. When I asked my sister for a little help, she gave me a reality check, reminding me I was dying and just had open heart surgery.
Ahem, well, yes. I haven’t used that word “dying”, But she’s right, I need to be patient and lenient on myself and my boys.
I needed that reminder. Looking back, I’ve been fighting these symptoms for a very long time, so recovery and clean-up from all those years will take a long time. I guess it’s like when you gain weight. Weight gain happens over many years, and it will take some time to get it all off. Don’t expect overnight changes! So I need to keep praying for patience and gentleness with myself and others.
6. Our area had a little scare this week with a manhunt of an armed felon in nearby neighborhood. There were lockdowns and police blockades. The man was arrested and no one was injured, thank God, but it is a reminder to keep the house secure and locked.
7. I was working on a bit of calligraphy this week for my sons’ atrium. I uploaded on My Flickr a few past examples.
I reorganized my materials this weekend, assessing my supplies and planning my next projects, but I cannot find one of my binders with notes and information for the Level III atrium. I have looked and looked, to the point of exhaustion. I’m just stumped where it could be! I know the last time I used it was right when I got the heart diagnosis, so I just can’t remember from that emotional state.
Would you mind whispering a prayer to St. Anthony so I can find it very soon?
8. I know this is extra, but I’m just so annoyed by the political agenda with the Olympics. We have to really screen everything before our boys watch anything. The Opening Ceremony was beautiful, but I am so annoyed by the criticism and the agenda of the network and our President. If there was a way to block all the talking heads.
See Jen for the punctual entries.